My Tho is the capital of Tien Giang Province, Vietnam. In fact, it is the closest Mekong Delta capital to Ho Chi Minh City and is also the major spot for organizing tours out of Saigon or for joining one of many Mekong cruise tours. My Tho has a lot of offshore islands which can be easily discovered. This destination would be one of the best highlights in any Vietnam tour package.
Best time to visit
In fact, travelers can visit Cu Chi all year round as the weather condition is consistent throughout the year with two main seasons. The dry seasons starts from early November to late April. Tourists should be careful with the wet season starting from May to late October. Especially, June and July would receive the highest rainfall of the year but luckily, the rain lasts shortly and often occurs in mid-afternoon.
My Tho is 70km from Ho Chi Minh City. Tourists can get to My Tho very easily by taking a bus or by motorbike.
Visitors can travel to My Tho by bus Saigon – My Tho at Cho Lon bus station or take coaches in Ben Tre, Go Cong. You can check out some bus lines such as Phuong Trang or Mai Linh or buy ticket at West Station (Kinh Duong Vuong, An Lac, Binh Tan District, Ho chi Minh City, phone: (08) 38752953-38776594).
By private car/motorcycles
70km is a relatively short distance to go by private cars and motorcycles. The route is very simple: just going along Highway 1A toward the West, through Long An, driving about 20 km left until reaching Trung Luong folk, then turning left to get to My Tho.
- Taxi: Mai Linh Taxi: (073) 3878787
- Motorcycles: is the most convenient means of transport to travel among attractions in My Tho. However, motor rental in My Tho is not really popular. Tourists can ask the hotel where you stay to rent a motorbike for 150,000 VND – 200,000 VND per day.
- Buses: is not a convenient mode of transportation for visitors to discover the famous sights in Tien Giang.
- Boats: to visit the dunes, you have to go by boat. Currently there are two docks in My Tho where you can rent a boat to get there. Depending on your needs and budget, you can choose the appropriate vessel.
Tourist attractions in My Tho: Vinh Trang Pagoda, Dong Tam Snake Farm, Tien Giang Museum, Thoi Son Island, Water Well, Horse Dork. There are many types of tourism associating with the rivers, gardens that can combine with many diverse tour programs in Ho Chi Minh City and Can Tho. In addition, visitors can take a cruise at Lac Hong pier to visit islets, honey making farm together with listening to Southern folk songs.
- Vinh Trang Pagoda: Th temple was built in early 19th century. Address: Nguyen Trung Truc Street in the village of My An, My Phong.
- My Tho Cathedral: It was built in the early 20th century with the architectural style of western Europe. Address: 32 Hung Vuong Street.
- Dieu Hoa Temple: It is the place to preserve many tangible and intangible relics. Address: 101 Trinh Hoai Duc.
- Dong Tam Snake Farm: Binh Duc commune, Chau Thanh, Tien Giang. There is nothing special here. Tourists can come there to see snakes and go camping.
My Tho Cuisines
My Tho is very famous for Hu Tieu (noodles). If you ever come to My Tho, don’t forget to try this wonderful dish. Here are some highly recommended restaurants: Bo De Quan, Quan Ky Quan, Quan Chu Din…
Hotels and motels in My Tho City are very cheap. They are mainly located on Ly Thuong Kiet street and Nam Ky Khoi Nghia Street.
- Chuong Duong Hotel: No. 10 Road April 30, My Tho, Tien Giang. Tel: (08) 36012152
- Tien Giang Trade Union Hotel: April 30 61 Street, Ward 1, My Tho, Tien Giang.DT: (073) 3874324
- Hotel Sunflower .Dia: No. 33 Trung Trac, My Tho, Tien Giang. Tel: (073) 3872011
- Rang Dong Hotel: No. 25 Road April 30, My Tho, Tien Giang. Tel: (073) 3874400.
- Motels Trong Tin: 33 Ho Van Branch, Ward 5, My Tho City. Phone: (073) 3868545