Thanh Hoa is one of the biggest cities of Vietnam located in the North, 175km from Hanoi and 1,560 km from Ho Chi Minh City. Although Thanh Hoa is not popular for foreign tourists, it is a hot place for domestic tourists in summer because of Sam Son Beach.
Like Hanoi, Thanh Hoa has a tropical monsoon climate with four seasons: spring – wet and humid (February - April), summer –hot ( May - August), autumn -cool (September - October) and winter –cool ( November - January). The summer in Thanh Hoa is very hot, especially June and July. If you want to swim at beaches, you should visit Thanh Hoa in summer.
How to get Thanh Hoa?
Thanh Hoa has both airport and train station so tourists can get Thanh Hoa easily by flight, train and bus. However, tourists only get Thanh Hoa by flight from Ho Chi Minh (arrive in Tho Xuan or Sao Vang airport – 45 km from Thanh Hoa City). From Hanoi, trains and buses are two main ways. The bus ticket is about 80,000 -120,000 VND and train ticket is about 90,000 – 130,000 VND.
Things to do and see in Thanh Hoa:
- Pu Luong Nature Reserve: many people said Pu Luong is similar to Mai Chau, Hoa Binh with rich forest, limestone panoramas, beautiful rice terraces and diverse ethnic culture. The nature reserve was established in 1999 with a total area of 17,662 ha, 3/4 of the nature reserve is primary tropical forest. This is also living place of ethnic Muong and Thai people. The best time to visit Pu Luong is during rice harvest season, June and October every year.
- Sam Son beach: this is the best beach in Thanh Hoa, far about 15 km from Thanh Hoa City. The beach is very crowed in summer and famous for many big waves. Beside the beach, coming to Sam Son, you will have a chance to visit Trong Mai Rocks, Doc Cuoc Temple and Co Tien Mountain.
- Hai Tien Beach: although Hai Tien is not as beautiful as Sam Son, it is more pristine than Sam Son beach. The beach also offers cheap and fresh seafood.
- Ben En National Park: locates in Nhu Thanh, Nhu Xuan districts. The park is a complex of tropical forests, hills, mountains, rivers, springs, and Muc Lake. With beautiful natural landscapes and diversified flora and fauna, Ben En is a good place for those who love eco-tourism, sightseeing, and scientific studies.
- Suoi Ca Than (Cam Luong Fish Spring): is also a great place to visit in Thanh Hoa. The stream contains thousands of fish that no one dares to catch it.
- Ho Dynasty: is one of the world heritage sites recognized by UNESCO of Vietnam. This is a permanent dynasty with unique architecture built by large rocks and is one of a few remaining stone fortification on world.
- Kho Muong valley: belongs to Pu Luong Natural Reserve and is living place of Thai people. The valley has breathtaking landscapes with many rice terraces, stilt houses and gorgeous mountains. You also can visit Kho Muong village – the road is very difficult to go but it’s worth to visit with your friend.
Where to stay in Thanh Hoa?
FLC Luxury Resort Samson (5 star- with the biggest swimming pool in Vietnam) is the most luxury resort in Thanh Hoa. Besides, you can stay at some hotels near Sam Son beach or Hai Tien beach.